Causes of a Boat Accident
The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. represents personal injury victims of boat accidents in both Missouri and Illinois.
The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. is one of the leading personal injury law firms in Missouri and Illinois. The firm’s principal, attorney Christopher Hoffmann, focuses on representing people injured in motor vehicle accidents, including boat accidents. For more than 15 years, our law firm has handled thousands of motor vehicle and boating accident cases.
Common Causes of Boat Accidents in Missouri and Illinois
- Drunk driving accidents: In Missouri, just under eight percent of boat accidents in 2008 had alcohol as a contributing factor. In Illinois, 13 percent of boating accidents had alcohol as a contributing factor, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Boating while intoxicated is just as illegal as driving under the influence. Keep your distance from a boater who is visibly consuming alcohol or who is operating the craft erratically.
- Careless or reckless boating: One doesn’t have to be intoxicated to recklessly operate a craft. Speedboats and personal watercraft such as Jet Skis, are tempting to operate at high speeds, but if the operator disregards the safety of other craft in the area by speeding or weaving, he or she may be charged with negligence.
- Distracted boaters: Just as cell phone use is a common cause of auto accidents, so too is “texting while boating” a more frequent cause of on-the-water accidents. Erratic movements often signal operator inattention.
- Operator inexperience: New boat operators, or boat operators without proper training and certification, may cause accidents by failing to comply with unfamiliar boating regulations.
- Equipment failure: Poorly designed or manufactured safety equipment or boat components can contribute to drownings and propeller accidents. Read instruction manuals carefully and conduct practice sessions with safety equipment.
- Poor signage: Poor or nonexistent markers or signage in marinas or on public waterways can contribute to boating collisions.
We provide you with information about the causes of boat accidents for two primary reasons. First, we know that information is a powerful tool of protection. Boaters who are aware of common accident causes are less likely to get in an accident in the first place. Second, if you or someone you know has been seriously hurt in a Missouri or Illinois boat accident, we want to reassure you that our law firm can handle any type of boating accident — whether the cause was a boating while intoxicated (BWI) incident, an untrained operator, poorly signed causeways or something else.
Contact a St. Louis Boat Accident Lawyer
At The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C., we hope you can enjoy the waterways of Missouri and Illinois without ever encountering any type of accident, let alone a serious incident that results in major injury. In the sad event that you or a family member is hurt in a boat accident, however, contact us for information about your legal rights at (314) 361-4242.
photo credit: volleybigg