St. Louis sideswipe accidents are often caused by carelessness and lack of attention.
A sideswipe collision occurs when two vehicles are traveling beside each other, in the same direction and contact happens between them. This type of collision can be in the same direction as well as the opposite direction. Sideswipes that are the opposite direction are four times more common than same direction sideswipes.
Why do sideswipe collisions occur?
The most common reason sideswipe accident occur, is that one of the drivers change from one lane to another without noticing that there is another car in the lane they are moving into. This could happen because they were not paying attention, or because the other vehicle was in the blind spot of the lane changing car.
Top causes of sideswipe collisions
According to our St Louis car crash attorneys, the top causes of highway vehicle sideswipe collisions include:
- Distraction – Being distracted is one of the top reasons why drivers veer out of their lane without even realizing that they are doing it.
- Drugs or alcohol – Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs can impair a drivers thought processes and hinder concentration making them more likely to leave their lane without due care and attention.
- Tiredness – Being tired can really cause your problems with your concentration and this can also be a leading cause of sideswipes on our highways.
- Over correcting due to hazard avoidance – Avoiding a collision or impact with a hazard in the road can cause a vehicle to sideswipe a vehicle that has been traveling alongside it.
- Not looking for other vehicles – Not looking hard enough for other vehicles on the road around you is a big cause of sideswipes. As we’ve already mentioned, there is also the issue of a vehicle being in your blind spot.
In general, sideswipes are caused by carelessness and lack of attention. These incidents can have some big consequences. Common damage to vehicles during a sideswipe collision include damage to doors, windows and mirrors as well as scraping of the quarter panels. These types of accident can result in some serious injuries and even in death.
Have you been involved in a sideswipe accident in or around St. Louis, MO?
It is likely that the car insurance company will offer you a settlement if you’ve been injured in a sideswipe incident. However, it’s usually well worth speaking with a St. Louis accident lawyer, as the settlement offered by the insurance company could well be lower than what you could attain if you were to pursue the issue with the help of a skilled attorney. You need to remember that if your injuries are serious, you may have high medical bills to pay. You may also have loss of earnings due to being unable to work for a period of time. It is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side, who can fight in your behalf for the compensation you deserve to move forward.
Call (314) 361-4242 for a free case evaluation with an experienced attorney at The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C.