Fatal Car Accident Lawyer St. Louis
Our firm understands that no amount of money can make up for your loss. However, seeking the help of a fatal car accident lawyer can make the process of replacing lost wages, affording medical bills, and arranging a proper funeral less daunting.
A car accident fatality occurs every 16 minutes in the United States. Of the dozens of traffic deaths that occur each day, only a few lead to criminal charges. A fatal car accident lawyer can help when a motorist is at fault for causing death through reckless or negligent behavior. Such motorists may be charged with vehicular manslaughter, however, most traffic deaths are accidents categorized as involuntary vehicular manslaughter.
Involved in a Fatal Car Accident?
The Cause of Fatal Car Accidents
Many fatal car accidents are a result of driver negligence. Here are some common driving behaviors that may necessitate the involvement of a fatal car accident lawyer:
- Intoxicated driving: Driving under the influence is among the most common causes of fatal crashes. A drunk driver can be prosecuted even if the driver was below the legal limit for blood alcohol content.
- Distracted driving: Cell phone usage and texting can cause fatal car accidents. In addition, talking to passengers, eating or driving while driving, and engaging in any activity that requires the driver to take their eyes off the road can cause a fatal accident.
- Driver Fatigue: Drowsy driving is as dangerous as intoxicated driving. A fatal car accident lawyer can assist in cases where it’s proven that the driver voluntarily slept behind the wheel.
Other causes include reckless driving and violating traffic safety regulations. Whether a case warrants an involuntary manslaughter charge depends on the specific circumstances – something that a fatal car accident lawyer can help decipher.
Auto Accidents Resulting in Death
No one expects to be involved in a severe car accident, and even fewer expect to lose a family member on the road tragically. However, car accidents are prevalent, especially on the busy streets of St. Louis and its surrounding areas. Some common auto accidents that a fatal car accident lawyer can assist with include:
- Side-impact or T-bone car accident
- Read-end collision
- Rollover accident
- Drunk driving accident
- Distracted driving or texting while driving accident
- Head-on car accident
- Bicycle or pedestrian accident
Liability for a Fatal Car Accident
When a driver operates a vehicle under the influence of drugs and causes a car accident that kills someone, the driver can be charged with first-degree involuntary vehicular manslaughter. Depending on the circumstances that led up to the accident, it may be considered a class B or class C felony and may be punishable by up to 5-20 years or 7 years in prison, respectively, and a fine of up to $5,000. If the person is charged with involuntary vehicular manslaughter to the second degree, a class D felony, the penalties include up to 4 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. For a person to be charged with voluntary vehicular manslaughter, it must be proven that:
- They were driving in either a severely negligent or reckless manner, and
- The reckless or negligent driving behavior caused a fatality
Free Consultation with a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
Don’t talk to an insurance claims adjuster before speaking with The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We can help you avoid making statements that may affect the outcome of your case. The consultation is free; you don’t pay unless we get you money!Free Consultation (314) 361-4242