You may not be immediately aware of a neck or back injury after a car accident, however, the after effects of these injuries may last a lifetime.
Injuries to the neck and back are quite common in people involved in car accidents. The severity of these injuries may depend on the seriousness of the accident. If you suspect a neck or a back injury as a result of a car accident, you must seek immediate medical attention for an accurate diagnosis of your injury. You may also consider seeking legal advice from an experienced St. Louis car accident attorney for filing a claim to receive compensation. Back and neck injuries may not show immediate symptoms, but could manifest themselves in the course of time.
Back and Spine Injuries
The back and spine are prone to injuries in a car accident. If you are involved in a moderate to severe car accident, there is a chance that you may break a vertebrae or sever the spinal cord, which may lead to lifelong injuries. The symptoms of a back or spinal injury vary from person to person and depend on the seriousness of the car accident. Some symptoms which should not be ignored are:
- Pain – Injury to the back or spine may result in pain around the affected region and in other areas like the arms or neck.
- Numbness – A spinal cord injury may cause numbness or loss of feeling in the limbs or extremities. Although this condition may not always be painful, it could be a symptom of a spinal injury and you should immediately see a medical professional.
- Loss of muscle control – The functioning of muscles is controlled by the spinal cord. If your spinal cord is injured in a car accident, you may experience involuntary contraction and relaxation of your muscles.
A neck injury in a car accident generally results from the whiplash affect due to the impact of the accident. Symptoms of neck injuries are not always felt immediately due to the adrenaline rush and the endorphins that mask the pain. Common symptoms of neck injuries are:
- pain in the neck area, shoulders, arms, and hands
- muscle spasms in the neck
- reduced motion of the neck
- numbness in the arms and hands
If you feel any of the above symptoms, you should immediately seek the advice of a specialist to carry out a complete diagnosis and recommend a course of treatment. Common neck injuries which can be a result of a car accident are:
- Pinched nerve – A nerve running from the spinal cord to other parts of the body may become pinched due to a ruptured disc resulting in pain or numbness in that area.
- Neck sprain and strain – The impact of the accident may cause the muscles and ligaments to become stretched, pulled, or torn, resulting in pain and stiffness.
- Herniated disc – Also called a ruptured or slipped disc, which can cause pain or numbness in the neck and back.
Receiving Compensation For Your Injuries
If you have been experiencing any of the above symptoms after a car accident, schedule an appointment with a specialist to get the problem diagnosed. Back and spinal injuries, if left untreated, may lead to further complications and severely affect your day-to- day life and mobility. It is also important to consult an experienced St. Louis car accident lawyer to seek compensation for the injuries.