Driving safely should be the top priority of every person that gets behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Every year, many car accidents occur in Missouri leaving hundreds of people injured, and many dead. It is hard to expect or imagine that you will ever get involved in a car crash, but it pays to be alert and drive defensively. This will not only keep you safe, but may also save the lives of many others on Missouri roads. Here are some safe driving tips from St. Louis car accident attorney Christopher Hoffmann that will help you avoid car accidents:
- Make driving safely your first priority. Drive defensively and focus on the road and traffic conditions. Always be alert, and be prepared for any unexpected event.
- Focus not only on the vehicle ahead, but on the road horizon. By looking ahead a driver can look at the entire traffic pattern ahead of him.
- Do not use your cell phone. Many vehicle accidents in Missouri are caused because of distractions caused by the use of cell phones. So, to drive safely on roads drivers should avoid using their cell phone while driving.
- Avoid changing lanes too frequently. A lot of car accidents occur while the driver is trying to change lanes. By avoiding moving from one lane into another lane, you will save yourself of the risk of colliding with another vehicle.
- Do not drive aggressively. A lot of car accidents occur when a driver is trying to challenge or looking into the eyes of another driver who is driving dangerously. So, rather than challenging a dangerous driver, the driver should instead focus on keeping himself and his passengers safe. Driving safely is more important than getting even and getting in an accident.
- Avoid dangerous drivers. Always be on a lookout for drivers who change lanes blindly or too quickly. They are often the most dangerous of drivers.
- Check intersections. While passing through an intersection, look at your left and right even if the light is green.
- Wear your seatbelt. We all know how essential it is to wear a seatbelt, but many of us still forget or ignore this basic principle of safe driving. Even if you are driving safely in every other respect, failure to wear a seatbelt can be fatal.
- Do no tailgate the car in front of you. The biggest cause of most rear end collisions on highways is following too closely. So, maintain proper distance with the vehicle in the front.
- Do not lose your patience. Patience is the key to safe driving. Even if you are running late or another driver is driving recklessly, do not lose your patience, and stay calm.
Driving Safely Decreases Your Chances of an Accident.
No matter how safe and defensively you drive, there is still a chance that someone else’s negligence may cause a car accident. If you or someone close to you ever gets involved in a car accident, you should immediately consult with an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your case. Insurance companies will often try to minimize your claim. To avoid getting tangled up in these games, contact The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We can evaluate your accident claim for free, work to protect your rights, and get you the compensation you deserve.
Call us today at (314) 361-4242 to schedule a free consultation.
photo credit: timo_w2s via Flickr