Talk to a lawyer for Free 24/7 (314) 361-4242 : St. Louis sideswipe collisions are often caused by carelessness and lack of attention.
A sideswipe collision occurs when two vehicles are traveling beside each other, in the same direction and contact happens between them. This type of collision can be in the same direction as well as the opposite direction. Sideswipes that are the opposite direction are four times more common than same direction sideswipes.
How a Sideswipe Collision Occurs
A typical scenario for a sideswipe accident is one driver trying to change lanes without first checking to make sure that there is not another car in his or her path. This causes the car to collide with the other on the side. If the driver was rapidly making the lane change, the impact can be forceful enough to push the car sideways, potentially into the line of other traffic.
Drifting across lanes will also cause a sideswipe accident to occur. These types of slow-moving accidents are generally the result of driving while fatigued, under the influence, or texting and driving. No matter what the cause, the damage to the vehicle and injuries sustained could be severe.
Top causes of sideswipe collisions
According to our St Louis car crash attorneys, the top causes of highway vehicle sideswipe collisions include:
- Distraction – Being distracted is one of the top reasons why drivers veer out of their lane without even realizing that they are doing it.
- Drugs or alcohol – Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs can impair drivers thought processes and hinder concentration making them more likely to leave their lane without due care and attention.
- Tiredness – Being tired can really cause your problems with your concentration and this can also be a leading cause of sideswipes on our highways.
- Overcorrecting due to hazard avoidance – Avoiding a collision or impact with a hazard in the road can cause a vehicle to sideswipe a vehicle that has been traveling alongside it.
- Not looking for other vehicles – Not looking hard enough for other vehicles on the road around you is a big cause of sideswipes. As we’ve already mentioned, there is also the issue of a vehicle being in your blind spot.
In general, sideswipes are caused by carelessness and lack of attention. These incidents can have some big consequences. Common damage to vehicles during a sideswipe collision include damage to doors, windows, and mirrors as well as the scraping of the quarter panels. These types of accident can result in some serious injuries and even in death.
Injuries From a Sideswipe Car Accident
In most cars, the majority of protection for the driver and passengers is located at the front and rear of the vehicle, where impacts are more likely to occur. In a sideswipe accident, the car that collides with yours ends up just inches away from your body. Even with side-impact airbags, there is still the possibility of damage to the legs, internal organs, and your head.
When high speed is involved, a car can be pushed into another lane of traffic or off of the road, causing a front- or rear-end collision. Depending on the severity of the crash, your injury could far exceed what you can afford to pay in medical bills. You may need the help of a St. Louis car accident attorney to determine the cause of the accident, show fault, and compel the insurance company of the other driver to provide you with compensation for the damages you incurred.
Filing a Claim for Compensation After a Sideswipe Car Accident
If you are sideswiped while driving on a Missouri highway and sustained injuries as a result, it is within your rights to seek compensation from the driver of the car that hit you. Contact The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. at (314) 361-4242 to understand your legal rights.