Determining who is at fault in an auto accident in Kirkwood, Missouri, is essential, especially when dealing with injuries and property damage.
Missouri follows a comparative fault system. In simple terms, this means that fault can be shared among all parties involved in an accident. For instance, one driver could be 70% at fault, while 30% at fault. This division of fault impacts compensation. Therefore, proving the other party was more at fault is vital.
What to Do Immediately After an Accident
- Prioritize Safety and Seek Medical Help: After an accident, the first priority is ensuring the safety of everyone involved. Move your vehicle out of the way if it is safe to do so, and call for medical help if anyone is injured.
- Report the Accident: It’s essential to report the accident to local law enforcement. They’ll document the incident and provide an initial impression of the accident scene, which can be crucial in establishing fault.
Collecting Evidence at the Accident Scene
Collecting evidence at the scene is critical in proving fault. Key steps to take include:
- Gather information about the other driver(s) involved – their contact information, insurance details, and vehicle description.
- Take photos of the accident scene, capturing different angles that include vehicle damages, road conditions, traffic signs, and skid marks.
Seek Medical Attention
Even if you don’t think you’re severely injured, seeking medical attention is vital. Some car accident injuries may not present symptoms immediately. Plus, medical records are crucial evidence demonstrating the extent of your injuries and linking them to the accident.
The Importance of Witnesses in Establishing Fault
Witnesses can provide an impartial account of the accident. Their statements can strengthen your case considerably. Steps to take:
- Collect contact information and statements from anyone who witnessed the accident.
Accident Reconstruction Experts
It is often a good idea to involve an accident reconstruction expert in complex cases. These professionals can use evidence to recreate the accident, providing further clarity.
Why Legal Representation is Essential
Having a local Kirkwood auto accident lawyer on your side can significantly simplify the process of proving fault. An attorney can:
- Guide you through Missouri’s specific laws and procedures.
- Help collect and present evidence.
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies play a significant role in auto accidents. They conduct their investigations and may try to minimize the compensation amount. Key points to remember:
- Do not admit fault, even partially, to an insurance adjuster.
- Let your attorney handle the discussions with the insurance company.
Speak With a Kirkwood, MO Car Accident
Proving fault in an auto accident in Kirkwood, MO, may be a complex process, but it’s crucial in ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve. At The Hoffmann Law Firm we invite you to call us 24/7 for a free case evaluation. Our experienced attorneys are committed to helping auto accident victims and can work diligently to prove fault in your auto accident case.
Free Consultation with a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
Don’t talk to an insurance claims adjuster before speaking with The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We can help you avoid making statements that may affect the outcome of your case. The consultation is free; you don’t pay unless we get you money!Free Consultation (314) 361-4242