If you are involved in an accident with a drunk driver, the team at The Hoffmann Law Firm is here to help you get compensation for your injuries and more.
Every day, almost 30 people die in drunk driving accidents in America, claiming a total of 10,000+ lives per year. And while it’s not always possible to prevent yourself from getting hit by a drunk driver, there are a few steps you can take to defend yourself against drunk drivers and car accidents in St. Louis and Missouri.
Here are 7 tips for defending yourself against drunk driving car accidents:
- Buckle Your Seatbelt – Seat belts reduce the risk of death in a car accident by 45% and the risk of a serious injury by 55%. They are your last line of defense if a drunk driver hits you, so make sure you and your passengers wear your seat belts to stay safe.
- Be Cautious At Intersections – Don’t Just Trust The Lights – You should be very cautious at intersections. Drunk drivers often run red lights or ignore stop signs, resulting in a dangerous “t-bone” accident. After the light turns green or it’s your time to drive away from a stop sign, double-check the intersection to make sure that no cars are coming from either direction or that all of the vehicles have come to a stop.
- Maintain a Generous Following Distance Between Cars – Give yourself 4+ seconds of distance between your car and other cars. This lets you quickly recognize if another driver is behaving erratically and allows you to get out of harm’s way.
- Avoid Driving Late at Night, On Weekends, and Around Holidays – Most drunk driving accidents happen late at night, on the weekends, and around holidays like New Year’s Eve, Halloween, St. Patricks’ Day, Christmas, and other such holidays. So try to avoid driving during these times – and if you do, be extra-cautious!
- Report Unsafe Drivers Who Appear to Be Intoxicated – In Missouri, you can call the hotline 1-800-525-5555 to report a driver who is swerving, erratic, or driving dangerously or recklessly. Whenever you suspect a drunk driver, report them. You may save a life!
- Never Get In a Car if The Driver Has Been Drinking – Although you may not be liable if a driver is pulled over for drunk driving and you’re a passenger, you’re endangering your life if you ride in the car with someone drunk. Never ride with a drunk driver.
- Volunteer to Be a Designated Driver – Consider being a designated driver for friends, family, and others who may be going out to drink or who need a ride. This ensures that you can all stay safe and avoid potential accidents caused by drunk driving.
Get Help If You’re Hit By a Drunk Driver
Hopefully, you can avoid being hit by a drunk driver with the above tips. But if you are involved in an accident with a drunk driver, the team at The Hoffmann Law Firm is here to help you get compensation for your injuries, medical bills, property damage, and more. Contact us now for a free case review with a Missouri car accident attorney.
Free Consultation with a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
Don’t talk to an insurance claims adjuster before speaking with The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. We can help you avoid making statements that may affect the outcome of your case. The consultation is free, and you don’t pay unless we get you money!