Causes of Car Accidents
Located in St. Louis, The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C., represents injured car accident victims throughout Missouri and Illinois.
Each year millions of American’s are injured or killed in car accidents. It is estimated that nearly 2 million people experience permanent injuries due to these accidents every year.
Some of the Leading Causes of Car Accidents
- Drunk driving accidents: One of the leading causes of serious accidents is drunk driving. Not only should you not drink and drive, but you need to be aware that someone on the same road may be driving drunk, and therefore drive defensively. Stay away from someone weaving on the road and report suspicious conduct. You may help save lives.
- Driver fatigue: Many people are tired, but they keep driving anyway. Maybe they nod off for a second, and the scare keeps them wide awake … momentarily. If you are tired, pull over in a safe place and take a power nap or stay at a hotel. The damage to you, your car and possibly another person is not worth the attempt to push yourself. Do not fall asleep at the wheel. Many head-on collisions occur due to drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
- Careless and reckless driving: Speeding, driving fast in unsafe conditions (either unsafe weather or unsafe road conditions), and running red lights or stop signs (i.e., failure to stop) can cause a serious accident. Be especially mindful of construction zones, as these areas are frequent sites of car wrecks and hit-and-run accidents.
- Multitasking: Maybe you can multitask at work, but multitasking is not very intelligent on the road. If you are driving defensively, you have enough multitasking to do keeping a watchful eye on the cars in front of you, behind you and along side of you. Do not shave, read, put on makeup or use your cellphone while driving. Do not do anything that will distract you from paying attention to the road.
- Texting while driving: A driver is 23 times more likely to get into a car accident texting while driving. When texting, a person takes their eyes off the road for a minimum of 5 seconds. At 55mph that is equivalent to driving the length of a football field without looking up at the road. This has become such a problem that some states have banned the use of a mobile phone while driving.
We want to provide you with information regarding the causes of car accidents for two reasons: first and foremost, to make you aware of the some of the dangers on the road so you will be a defensive driver and avoid an accident. Second, we want to reinforce that we have and can handle any type of auto accident, including head-on collisions, side impact accidents and rear-end collisions. We handle all types of serious injury claims from car accidents ranging from whiplash to brain damage to death.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in St. Louis
At The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C., we hope you can avoid a future accident. However, if you were involved in a car accident, rest assured that help is available. Please schedule a free consultation with car accident attorney Chris Hoffmann by calling us at (314) 361-4242.